1.16.2007

What Is PKBlogs?

[Ed. note: Among some of the new "visitors" here this week include a few folks coming in from Kabul. Right; the one in Afghanistan and NOT the suburb of beautiful downtown Burbank. ::cough::]

A couple of folks have asked about the new blog button - PKBlogs - near the top right in the sidebar. While a click on it would answer the question, here's the deal.

PKBlogs provides a means of access for residents of other countries where specific blog genres or entire blogging networks are blocked. For example, at least a few countries I've learned block access to all Blogger/Blogspot blogs, regardless of whether the subject discussed is tea, photography, or revolution.

Several days ago, I got an email from someone who - it appears, anyway; you can't always tell - is behind Web restrictions in one of those countries which is a cousin to Bush's ever-changing Axis of Evil playgroup. The person apparently used to visit my blog while studying to become a chef in Europe but couldn't get to my blog now that he's returned home to Central Asia.

It took me all of 2 and a half seconds to sign up with PKBlogs to make my posts (at least more) available to the citizens of India and Pakistan, China, and Iran although I've gotten a number of visitors from every one of those countries in the past.

Since I signed up, however, I noticed I'm now seeing some visitors come in from places like Kazakhstan and even beautiful downtown Kabul (yes, indeedy: Afghanistan).

I'm happy about that. Considering how bad our elected leaders are, I think our best chance is for mere mortals throughout the world to open and establish a dialog. It's a win-win, with minimal effort.