12.12.2006

Are Senior Military Officers Coercing Their Soldiers to Adopt Evangelical Christianity?

That's the charge and I like it no better than forcefeeding this stuff to prisoners.

The last thing America - or the rest of the world - needs is the Pentagon handing out religion to its soldiers (especially given the compelling evidence that the Pentagon fails to provide these soldiers with training, adequate equipment, medical care and mental health followup - I could go on for pages in this vein).

Whenever you have a captive audience - in prison, in a rigid structure like the military, a boarding school, for example - I think it's really terribly unfair to subject them to any indoctrination.

My objection here is not specifically to evangelical Christianity. I would like this no better if it was Judaism or Islam or High Episcopalianism or Reaganomics or black magic or a knitting club.