11.06.2006

Let's Be Clear About The Saddam Hussein Verdict

A few people have tried to tear me a new one because I voiced my displeasure about the Saddam verdict. But never did I say that I felt Saddam was innocent (that would be like my saying that George Bush's and Dick Cheney's travesties are innocent). Take note of the next paragraph especially (another good read on this is JurassicPork's at Welcome to Pottersville):

When I rail about the verdict and the timing of Saddam's death sentence, it's to be very clear. This is fact, not fiction. The entire Saddam trial in Iraq was at the pleasure of the Bushies.

  1. The Bush Administration ordered Iraq to try him
  2. The Bush Administration told the Iraqi "justice" system what charges to level against Saddam
  3. The Bush Administration set the time schedule for it
  4. The Bush Administration set the verdict to be announced just before the mid-term election

The only fact I cannot prove from information currently available (since the rest is record) is that the Bush Administration told Iraq well ahead of time to find Saddam guilty and to order his death by one of the more gruesome measures possible. But given the above list, can there be any doubt that we, as in the Bushies, set this up, too?

As for "feeling sorry for Saddam", please. My sympathies are to the Iraqi people - who, like the Afghanis and what we've done to Central Asia - did not deserve Saddam, certainly did not deserve how George Bush Sr. told them to rise up against Saddam only to leave these people to be tortured and executed since Bush I cut and ran. And these people did NOT deserve what we have done to them in the Bush II Endless War & Occupation TV Carnivale.

Saddam was, is, and always will be in history a terrible man. Unfortunately, Saddam Hussein was a terrible man frequently propped up by the U.S. government and by corporations like Cheney's Halliburton, Poppy Bush's oil associates, and Rummy's Bechtel. So my outrage is not just at Saddam but all these others.

Hell, the much-discussed massacre of Kurds? We - as in American corporations with the full pleasure of Washington D.C. - fucking well sold Saddam the nerve gas agents to do it! Personally, I think there are plenty of people including Cheney, Poppy Bush, Rumsfeld, and others who should go on trial as well.