1.27.2004

What NH is Saying

Howard Fineman on Hardball just made an interesting point; one I think may be true. NH voters are turning out in greater numbers and with some stronger voices, as if to let the president know that they are very concerned. Bush arrives in NH next week and it's a message he perhaps should heed.

Of course, then Joe ("there wasn't any reason I resigned Congress so quickly and it certainly had nothing to do with the dead woman in my office") Scarbrough informed the world that Democrats can't win if they keep bringing up tax cuts and the economy, because everyone loves the tax cuts and the booming economy.

Of all the people I know and trust me, lots of them are Republicans and middle-class with kids, I perhaps know only two who say they're doing slightly to somewhat better since this so-called boom economy. The overwhelming majority are struggling and say their taxes either weren't cut at all or seem higher in view of other economic constraints. I'd definitely fit into that category myself.