1.27.2004

Primary Tension

I thought I was nuts (well, I still could be, of course) but several others have mentioned the same thing to me today: they feel a palpable tension regarding the results of today's NH primary.

Thankfully, I think any snow in NH right now is fairly light, so there will be turn-out (radar showing NH from here in Vermont makes it look insignificant right now).

See, I want people to turn out and I don't mean just the people who support my position or my candidate. Of course, the presidential and key local elections are the most important for turn-out, but I think the least we can do in a so-called representational Democracy is to show up and cast our ballots. When I was in high school and a teacher tried to explain this to me, I didn't grok it. Now I do.

But there is never a good reason for anything less than an 85% turn-out. Hell, get an absentee ballot if you must. Just vote!