1.29.2004

Jerusalem Bombing

You know it's bad when CNN is using its special "Crisis in the Middle East" theme music.

Worse is that this may have been committed by a Palestinian policeman - and one would ideally like to think that... yeah well. I never said I wasn't delusional.

Everytime we seem to get to a vaguely quiet place there, when anything looks like it could move forward on the peace initiative... we get death and horror. On both sides. Let me repeat: as much as I understand people railing against Arafat, I don't think Sharon and Bush are the two best things that ever happened to the idea of a non-military, non-bomb 'em solution.

I would even postulate that a lot of the reason the Middle East has been so brutal in the last three years is... unmistably.. because both of those men took office within a reasonably short period of time. Arafat's been there forever, and yet there have been times of relative calm. Sharon is a man who left in disgrace and with at least one court calling him a war criminal who was resurrected by the right-wing element. And Bush - enough said.