1.28.2004

David Kay hearings

As much as I could follow it while also trying to edit a chapter this morning, I watched with interest at the Senate hearing with David Kay. Dear Mr. Kay seems to be intent on fulfilling his role as a Bush shill, with people like John Warner (R-one of Liz Taylor's many ex's) doing their best to assist him.

I have to admit something here that sounds nasty. I really expected that this administration, when faced with no WMDs, would plant them. They certainly planted the idea, and the media helped by jumping on every helium canister and child's jump rope as a major potential WMD find. They did it a week or two ago with that finding by the Danish of incredibly old, distintegrating missiles (or whatever).

But while I'm extremely pleased that what I perceive as rough-shod arrogance did not translate into planting evidence. However, I come back to the same call I've made for months: we need a full investigation into all of this and not another white wash. Cheney keeps going out to speak about the ties to Al Qaeda and WMD of Iraq - so let him put up or shut up.

Let's see ALL the intelligence before we went to war. Then let's examine what the administration chose to believe and present to us. Blaming everything on bad intelligence is a little easy, considering we're never allowed to know the intelligence. Then, after Kay and others saying this week how poorly intelligence had served the President (I'll avoid a vile crack about the president not serving intelligence well either), Mr. Bush comes out and says he trusts his intelligence community completely.

Shouldn't he be more concerned?