1.26.2004

Kerry's wife

I saw Teresa Heinz Kerry on Hardball tonight, and found her - as I have in earlier interviews - to be a strong, intelligent woman who certainly wouldn't be the trophy First Lady that Laura and Barbara Bush, and several others have been.

Judy Steinberg Dean, as I've already documented, seems genuine, smart, warm, and I like her non-materialism. I believe her when she says she doesn't see this "anger" in Howard that has become the thing to snark about and I suspect she - as well as co-workers - would be in the best position to know.

Although I've seen her much less than the others, Edwards' wife also left me with a positive opinion. These aren't women who are only going to devote themselves to silly matters such as not looking too frumpy in a ball gown, smiling benignly at state dinners, and showing off the WH Christmas decorations on Larry King.

One thing you've got to admit: these men had the good sense to marry well.

Lieberman's wife seemed OK when he ran with Gore in 2000, while Kucinich is single, and I don't remember ever seeing Wes Clark's or Al Sharpton's other halves.