8.17.2006

I Hope They Have More Evidence Against Alleged Killer of JonBenet Ramsey Than John Mark Karr's Confession


I kid you not: although it's hard to imagine how anyone can possibly confess to a crime they did not commit, the truth is that it happens every day and in every way both in this country and throughout the world. I learned this will a freshman in high school when a young man at my high school (Peter Reilly, the subject of a few books and at least one movie) was charged with the brutal murder of his mother based on a confession elicited by police.

From what little I've seen and read, it seems apparent that John Mark Karr, the accused murderer of JonBenet Ramsey, the toddler beauty queen, has more than a few screws loose.

But a confession is not worth much because it can be elicited from innocent people. There is a lot more that makes me question whether he is IT. If he is, however, I don't know how anyone can give Patsy Ramsey the last 10 years of her life back in which so many assumed she or her husband murdered their little girl. Patsy died at the end of June of the ovarian cancer that struck right after JonBenet was born.

Jeralyn Merritt, a Colorado-based defense attorney and blogmistress of TalkLeft, is probably going to be one of your better sources of information on this case. If you've watched any of the talking head coverage of this case, either currently or back 10 years ago, you've seen Jeralyn in action. I think very highly of Jeralyn.