8.30.2006

Gunter Grass and Prescott Bush

I hear a lot about writer Gunter Grass' "shameful" Nazi past...

But where is the shame in that we've now had TWO presidents named Bush whose family fortune CAME from Prescott Bush (Poppy Bush's Poppy Bush) who funneled lots of Nazi money (if you aren't named Bush, this is called "war profiteering" and "money laundering" and oh... heck... since it happened during WWII while the U.S. was involved, fucking treason?) through a NY bank? Why does this never get any attention?

Now, I say this while also acknowledging that I don't necessarily like every decision rendered by my two ancestors who sat on - and one headed as Chief Justice - the U.S. Supreme Court and also noting that my family, at one sorry time, was both involved in shipping "black gold" (slaves) and in pillaging the rights of American Indians in Kent, Connecticut (the Schaghticoke tribe) by acting as "land managers". I'd like to think that I'm going to be one of those members who leaves this earth contributing more than taking FROM my society... but I'm not dead yet so we'll see.