5.09.2005

On a Personal Note

I never put myself out there for any of the "best blog" stuff because this was started, remains, and will always be a personal blog that attempts to at least discuss the spin around the news today. As a trained journalist, I'm horrified by what passes for mainstream media today. Yet I don't pretend to be a journalist here; I'm here as a citizen. I don't get paid by anyone to produce this work and the opinions expressed - except in comments and quotes - are entirely my own.

I don't want to be an Atrios or (God forbid) an Andrew Sullivan or a Wonkette. I've noticed that a little recognition in blogdom often results in the blog being something of a victim of the blogger's celebrity. That's not to carp about any specific blogs. I read the big as often as I do the small. I've noted, however, that the small blogs with only light comments and smaller traffic often present at least as worthwhile a read as the biggies (sometimes, much, much better). And hey, with the smaller blogs, you don't have to listen to tales of the blogger hobnobbing with the Dem (or GOP) illuminati. There's a lot to be said for average Joes and Janes trying to think things out, expressing opinions, and discussing topics among their peers.

Still, I was slightly delighted when I saw my blog came up for nomination this week as Best News and Media Blog by Blogs by Women.

If someone's getting something out of this (besides me and my aching spleen), I'm pleased. In reality, however, I'm only doing the same thing I was doing when only 5-10 people (other than those who knew me personally and like me anyway ::cough::) a day stopped by.