5.10.2005

Bernie Sanders: His Support Here is High and Growing

All too often, Vermont's sole house rep, Bernie Sanders (I), was the only voice to stand up against some of the most nonsensical bills and abuses shoved through Congress on issues like the Patriot Act and former Atty General John Ashcroft's openly hostile view toward librarians, on real people programs, on troop supplies and veterans affairs, and more.

So I'm not at all surprised that when Sanders is polled against GOP challengers Richard Tarrant who is a millionaire businessman, Lt Gov. Brian Dubie and Martha Rainville (a woman who I believe leads Vermont's National Guard), he trounces them, often more than 3:1.

Vermonters, as a whole, are not straight ticket voters. In the last election, while Bush failed miserably here (as low as 20% in some towns, about 35% statewide), Douglas, the GOP governor, got 67% of the vote, mixed between GOP, Dems, and Indies.

For example, my neighbors (good people who I would trust with my life) are ardent Republicans whom I often vote for in local positions and usually prominently display GOP ads at election time. Signs for Jim Douglas and others adorned their lawn and golf course (yes, out here 15 miles from nowhere, we have a golf course next door and no, I do not play golf) but no such signs for Mr. Bush last November. Bush-Cheney signs throughout the state, from what I saw, were almost non-existent.

Rainville's a strong woman and a strong candidate. Were Bernie not in the Senate race, I would look at her carefully because I think - from what little I've seen and heard - that she's an intelligent person and someone in tune with the state. But she would have to do something very compelling to make her a better choice than Bernie, who fights for Vermonters. The only times I've needed help from my congressman, I contact Bernie's office and I get a call back. I suspect my fellow Vermonters report the same experience. I should note that Senator Leahy (D) is almost that responsive as well.

So I'm not in the least surprised that Bernie is doing so well in the polls (often at 62-63% compared to 18% for GOP challengers). I expect this to do nothing but continue.