6.13.2004

Hesiod Rests His Case

I happened to wander past TBogg tonight for my missed installment of "America's Worse Mother" (Meghan Gurdon bites the big one, but TBogg's rendition is always sooo good), when I caught word that Hesiod at Counterspin is hanging up the blogging pen:

LAST POST: Just wanted to let everybody know that my family and I are OK. I'm not locked up in Guantanamo or anything.

I just decided for personal reasons that the time was right for me to stop blogging.
Sure, I can understand his decision. Believe it or not, blogging isn't always fun. For every one of the great, thought-provoking messages you get, there are at least 5-10 in which someone - usually someone who didn't pay much attention in school - calls you names, suggests you die, or offers to help you in that pursuit. Invoke Rush Limbaugh's name in less than glowing terms, for example, and his dittoheads manage to summon up just enough capability to locate your site and let loose. It's also a bit of work.

But Hesiod's been a passionate voice in the blogtopia (didn't Skippy coin that phrase?) for two years. He was one of the first blogs - along with Media Whores Online and Talking Point Memos - that I found and he's been a regular stop in my surfing.

I do hope he'll return. We need every independent voice who's willing to speak.