2.10.2004

Richard Cohen's Column

If you haven't read Cohen's column today in The Washington Post, I urge you to do so.

I urge this not because it underscores some big issues about Mr. Bush's military service, but because here's a respected journalist who didn't have to tell us some of these rather unflattering details, but did so because it dispels some of the myths being bandied about. I was impressed by his candor.

Re: the release of Bush's military payroll records, however, I'm not terribly impressed. I don't think they resolve the issue. But again, I don't think the military service issue is the most important matter upon which Mr. Bush should be called. To the extent it is a huge deal, it's largely because of how Mr. Bush himself has framed the issue by pretending to be that military action hero of himself sold in WalMart (and made in China!).