2.14.2004

Dems and the Gay Marriage Issue

I have to admit I find myself very disappointed in John Kerry for his stance against allowing gays to marry. It was an institution that he thought enough in to do it twice. Why should it be denied to someone else because of his or her sexual orientation?

Well, you might ask, how is this different from Howard Dean who helped bring about civil unions but not full gay marriage in Vermont? In many respects, it's not. I would have liked Vermont to have gone the full distance.

But Dean brought in the legislation nearly four years ago and, at the time, it was ground breaking. It was at least a good start in the right direction. What Kerry offers is what Dean got through four years back. I also feel like I don't know what Kerry's real stance on the matter is; I tend to think he'd support gay marriage if the polls were more in favor of it. Thus, he's being careful on the subject to keep from alienating some people. I understand why he would do this, but I don't much like it.