7.13.2006

Give the Gift of Nourishment

I've got a lot to post but I've also got to run out now and make a donation of some much-needed dairy goods at the local food bank. And this brings me to the reason for this post.

Today, a record number of Americans are going to bed hungry. The minimum wage hasn't been raised in nearly a decade and far too many jobs pay only the minimum wage (and less if you're a waitress or farmhand, or an undocumented worker) while just the price of gasoline has more than doubled during this time period. Frankly, I think you might be surprised with how many people you see each and every day who do not have enough food to survive. Low income people are especially hard hit.

Even if you took just $10-$20 a week or every other week or a month and put it into nourishing food you contribute to a local food bank or soup kitchen, you could help so many who are now being turned away since the demand is so high.

As you might have guessed, things around here have been pretty lean lately. But I'd much rather spend some cash on a food bank donation than I would a trip to the movies or a fast food meal. I encourage like-minded people to perhaps consider doing the same.