5.17.2005

Galloway's Testimony Only Got Very Careful Replay Tonight

The same few sound bytes were used over and over again, where they were used at all - and a bad time for The Daily Show to be (yet again) on hiatus - but what was heard was priceless. From my read of the situation through various Brit and EU newspapers, and what I know here at home, Galloway did not speak a single dubious word.

Stranger at Blah3 puts it less.. uh... diplomatically than I would but far more appropriately. Click here to see his whole piece with more of the Galloway testimony and Coleman nut roasting:

No wonder they shut down the meeting in less than a half hour. Coleman's nuts are probably still in his throat.
    "Senator, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an oil trader. and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one - and neither has anyone on my behalf.

    "Now I know that standards have slipped in the last few years in Washington, but for a lawyer you are remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice. I am here today but last week you already found me guilty. You traduced my name around the world without ever having asked me a single question, without ever having contacted me, without ever written to me or telephoned me, without any attempt to contact me whatsoever. And you call that justice.

    I told the world that Iraq, contrary to your claims did not have weapons of mass destruction.

    I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to al-Qaeda.

    I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to the atrocity on 9/11 2001.

    I told the world, contrary to your claims, that the Iraqi people would resist a British and American invasion of their country and that the fall of Baghdad would not be the beginning of the end, but merely the end of the beginning.
You could tell how effective Galloway had been by a) how CSPAN didn't show it live b) and especially, Wolf Blitzer kept laughing nervously and making it sound like Galloway was a nutty old fart. I'd forgotten what politicians with balls are like. We see it so rarely here; mostly, they just talk big and then hide behind Pat Robertson's and James Dobson's skirts. And yes, I said skirts.