3.24.2005

Now MSNBC Is Saying We Have to Save Terri Schiavo for the Pope

Because it wouldn't be fair to this man to let her die.

I've got this really unique idea: why don't we let the person who has been closest to Terri in her adulthood, the man she chose to spend the rest of her life with, the one she exchanged vows with, and the man who went to nursing school to be able to better care for Terri - namely, her husband - decide what's best for her. If Michael Schiavo changed sides and fought for her survival, I'd wish him the best just as I wish him this now.

But Terri's life and her death should not be based on what's best for the Pope, for Tom DeLay, for Jeb and George, or even what you and I may want.

I don't want to see this woman die. You look at her face in those early photographs, and she is the personification of life just as those early photos with her husband show the personification of love. If I had a magic wand, I'd restore her cortex (and help a few thousands of others in a similar predicament).

But eight years ago, based on medical evidence, seven prior years of experience, and after searching his soul, the man Terri chose to marry came to the decision that it was time to act on what he and others say Terri wished: not to linger in a state like this. I can understand - to some degree - why courts were called in to consider whether this was the best action (a scrutiny most of us would not face in a similar situation. But they did decide.

Let Michael handle this on his own. I have no doubt he loved her and that he loves her. It is his private decision based on how he knew his wife.