8.06.2006

"The Nine-Elevening of Lebanon"

Daithi at The Gaelic Starover puts the reaction to comparisons between Beirut and New York City after 9-11-01 quite well:

Ironically, while neglecting the basic needs of New Yorkers, and remaining oblivious to the very existence of four out of five Boroughs, New York City Hall and local municipal and state politicians have a most pronounced foreign policy, addressing every global crisis from Tibet to Ireland, and from Cuba to Taiwan.

So, I wasn't too surprised when I heard one of these blowhards on the radio last night instructing us that “we stand with Israel, because we know what terrorism is.”I was at the World Trade Center at 8:46 am on September 11, 2001.

I don’t need a reminder from anyone and certainly don’t require instruction from this jackass.

Indeed, when I see the images coming from Beirut, I can still hear the sirens and even smell the jet fuel.What I see in those photographs doesn’t look any less like terrorism just because it was overtly perpetrated by the government of a nation-state.

Obviously, the current crisis is being cheapened and exploited by those in power, just as the atrocities perpetrated against Downtown Manhattan were.

Again, the same simplistic and puerile Manichean formula is offered, “Either you’re with us or with the terrorists”.

Today, I stand with the people of Lebanon, because unlike the elected buffoon in last night's radio broadcast, I really do know what terrorism is!