8.04.2006

Editor & Publisher Irrelevant? Them's Fightin' Words

I couldn't believe this when I found it on Romenesko from Technorati just now:

Rocky editor says "liberal" E&P has become irrelevant
Rocky Mountain News

John Temple says Editor & Publisher editor and columnist Greg Mitchell mistakes standard opinion journalism for media criticism. "What he should really do to make his publication relevant is critique journalism, not tell us what he thinks newspapers should be saying on their editorial pages or in their columns."
Well, I can tell you exactly what bothers Mr. Temple: that Greg has not ever, and probably not soon will, tow the Bush company line.

I don't always agree with Greg Mitchell, but you'll notice I link to his work often because I think it's sound, accurate, honest, and very well worth the time. And, on a personal note, Greg's been nice enough to drop a note now and again because he takes the time to read what others are saying about his columns at E&P. But that contact came only after he already earned my high respect. Everyone I've talked to about Greg's columns - a considerable number, both in journalism and out - feel just about the same way I do.

So irrelevant? Nah.. not by a long shot. Perhaps Rocky Mountain News is just depressed it doesn't have anymore lovely Jon Benet Ramsey stories to boost circulation.