6.24.2005

Karl? Remember How Lee Atwater Left This World?

DC Media Girl reminds Karl Rove - Lee Atwater's protege - how the grand marshall of dirty, no good politics left this earth:

I’m not going to get on my high horse and scold Rove for his disgusting, inappropriate, offensive, divisive statements about liberals and 9/11. Others are already on the case.

No, I think I’ll take another approach. I’d like to remind Rove of how his buddy in bastardy, dirty politics and general scumbaggery Lee Atwater ended his days. It might be food for thought:
    Atwater’s "deathbed confession" remains controversial to this day. Many interpreted it as a renunciation of the political decade he had helped make possible. "Long before I was struck with cancer, I felt something stirring in American society," he said. "It was a sense among the people of the country -- Republicans and Democrats alike -- that something was missing from their lives, something crucial. I was trying to position the Republican Party to take advantage of it. But I wasn’t exactly sure what ’it’ was. My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood."

    For many readers, there was a credibility problem. He’s been a bastard all his professional life, said his critics, and now we’re supposed to believe him when he says he really loves us?