6.24.2005

The Flag Burning Amendment

This one has been a strange pickle. First, you have the usual suspects saying unusual things. Some liberals/progressives are saying, "What's wrong with the amendment since no one should be burning the flag" while some conservatives are saying, "There are bigger fish to fry so why this?"

As I've said, I'm not a great believer or practitioner in tearing down symbols. I've never burned a flag and suspect I never will.

My problem with the amendment - besides the fact that it was floated by "Duke" Cunningham, a man maybe a half step away from federal indictment for being such a prick and a thief and a liar - is that it raises a symbol - the flag - above the Constitution's promise of free speech. Just like the snowflake babies who have more value than an adult woman who might choose not to have a baby, the symbol is more important than the people it represents. THAT is what bothers me.