7.09.2004

How Low is President Bush's Opinion of Islam?

From John at AmericaBlog:

I have half a mind to believe the White House leaked this story to show the American Taliban that he was still their boy, come this November:
    Paul Weyrich, president of the Free Congress Foundation, says he is concerned about the growth of the Muslim faith in the United States. But he emphasizes he is not concerned about President Bush's frequent references to Islam as a 'religion of peace' that has simply been hijacked by a radical fringe.

    'I can say with certainty that [the president] knows what the real score is,' Weyrich says. 'He feels he has to say these things -- and maybe if you and I were president, we'd have to do the same thing.'

    Weyrich says if the president actually declared that America is in a war against Islam, there might be more Muslims taking up arms against the U.S. -- a 'real jihad,' as he puts it. So Bush, according to Weyrich, is soft-peddling his rhetoric in order to 'tamp down' any worldwide activity that might occur.

    'I know the president has to say certain things -- and I understand that,' the conservative icon says, 'but I also know that he doesn't believe it.'
Funny, but I think Bush already instigated that "real jihad."