5.05.2005

And Vermont's GOP Leader Can Kiss My Royal Rump

The head of Vermont's GOP, who put out a call two months ago for outside money to defeat Jim Jeffords, now has the unmitigated nerve to brand anyone and everyone within the state of Vermont who responded to MoveOn's request to see if they should back Rep. Bernie Sanders (I) for Jeffords' open seat as extremists who want to hurt the state.

Let me get this right, Einstein: dirty money flowing into Vermont from Tom DeLay in Texas is good, but actual Vermont residents - who responded in droves and not all, I hear, Dems - who say that Sanders should run for the post are crap beneath your feet? Oh, this guy is a real winner. Thank God we do paper ballots here (at least, in many communities).

Interestingly enough, the Vermont governor, Jim "never met a corporation I didn't love love love" Douglas, courted by Bush to take Jeffords' seat, has said no. Jim isn't ready for prime time and perhaps he has the good sense to know it. I think a couple of people realize that close association with Mr. Bush, as Douglas has, may not necessarily be a good thing.