4.21.2005

Peak Oil, Global Warming, and the Death of America as We Know it

My partner has been after me for a week to read an article in last week's Seven Days (a Vermont weekly publication) about the above-referenced topics, drawing heavily on information by James Kuntsler and written by Paula Routly.

While I usually dismiss (too) much, this is very frightening and I think it's also very possible. If oil stopped being available tomorrow, our way of life - built on the notion of cheap oil and lots of it - would turn on its head. In it, the author suggests the situation is so close at hand that Mr. Bush may not be able to finish out his second term, suggesting he may be driven from office by the outraged.

I encourage you to at least check it out. How accurate? I don't know. But I think we have to consider at least the possibility this vision is correct. We're feeling some of the currents right now of issues touched on in this article.