4.20.2005

Did Microsoft Quietly Withdraw Gay Equality Support?

I don't know the answer. But John at AmericaBlog presents us with this information:

Microsoft Corporation pulled its support for a gay rights bill in Washington state last month after complaints from a single radical right anti-gay leader, according to an article just published in the Seattle paper, The Stranger (the article is on the news stands already, online Thursday).

My sources in Washington state tell me that the vote on the bill, expected in two days (Friday), is SO CLOSE that Microsoft's actions may be pivotal in KILLING THE PRO-GAY LEGISLATION.

The radical right activist reportedly told Microsoft it had better pull its support for the gays or anti-gay bigots would launch a nationwide boycott of Microsoft, and guess what - Microsoft caved. A single anti-gay jerk, and Microsoft chose to reverse over ten years of policy and bash gays.
I personally hope this is wrong; I have frequently worked with Microsoft and within the realms in which I've worked, I've found them very comfortable with diversity.

If it is true, I'm hoping that having some light shed may change their position.