4.02.2005

Letter to the Editor Edited Without Notation of Same?

I wrote a letter to the Times-Argus, the paper of record for little Washington County, VT, and after about 10 days, it appeared today. The subject was James Jefford (I-VT Senate) and the Vermont GOP's appeal to out-of-state donors to unseat him in this election.

Strange thing is that the letter appears edited, missing two or three paragraphs, and at least two others have been rearranged. Now, newspapers sometimes edit for length (although I've seen much longer letters appear in the same paper). That I understand. Yet the standard of protocol is to note that a letter has been edited. In the old days, papers would even try to contact the writer ahead of time to either work with the writer to shorten it or ask if the author still wants to run the letter with the edits. Reporters see their work fouled up often, but the thought behind checking with the letter writer for edits made sure that papers didn't edit based on oh... say a little tiny bit of bias.

I didn't need the latter (someone to call me, although I supplied my number). But I would have appreciated if they had noted the editing, especially when it removed paragraphs critical to Mr. Bush, Mr. DeLay, and Gov. Jim Douglas (R-VT), and the editing is choppy enough that it makes my writing appear sloppier than it did originally.