2.25.2005

The Female Factor

Yes, I find it encouraging that more than half of Americans responding to a recent poll say they're ready for a female president. It's a little late in coming but hey...

However, a lot is going on behind the scenes right now to this end that concerns me.

First and foremost is a lot of talk of running Condi. One might ask why considering she's such an incredible fuckup at everything besides protecting her president. Frankly, I think lots of people on the right would choke on that one.

Second, there's Hilary. Is she a competent, intelligent woman? Oh yes. But she's not the only one. We won't be getting another Bill; Hilary's a completely different critter. This has nothing to do with the fact that she's not warm and sweet (and she's not). But she's far too much of a politician and that's not a good thing. Sad to say, anyone espousing the belief that she's a shoe-in for Dem nomination in 2008 just wants yet another four years of BushCo.

The only other woman possibility right now (Dianne Feinstein is also a politician in the less good sense of the word) is Barbara Boxer, but I doubt she stands a chance.

Can you think of others? I'm drawing a blank. There are many I think would make an excellent president, but they aren't ones we'll see come out for it.

But to be completely fair, I'm having a hard time naming any candidate I think is a strong contender on the Dem side for 2008 now that Dean has excluded himself. I don't want to see Kerry again. Edwards is a no (telegenic, intelligent, sincere but no). Lieberman is... ugh. Biden? We could do worse but he won't win. Obama's too new.

In fact, only one thing for me here is clear. Kerry should not go near 2008. He had his chance. But when push came to shove, he sat down.