10.09.2004

Shot Guilt

In going to the doctor yesterday, he surprised me at the end with announcing he was going to give me both a flu and a pneumonia vaccination. Actually, the surprise came when I said, "Oh, that's not necessary" and he overruled (he's not the type to tell you what you're doing so I took his position more seriously).

For me, there was a certain amount of guilt. I'm not old or very young but I do have a fouled-up lung from pneumonia gone ballistic. It's hard to justify my need for shots that others are worried sick (literally) they won't get this year. The hard part is that all this concern is so unnecessary. If you wanted to guarantee no flu shot shortage, you would NOT assign your entire stock to one out-of-country manufacturer, not the year after shortages and several childrens' deaths were seen.