10.09.2004

Overheard a Great Discussion of the Debate

Happened to be out at the local general store this afternoon and overheard an excellent analysis of not just last night's debate, but the two prior ones.

Who was having this discussion? Two young people, both in high school. Not joking around either. It was one of the most reasonable, no-spin discussions on the subject I've heard anywhere. When I joined in, I was extremely impressed with how knowledgeable both were on various sub-topics.

In truth, this isn't such a surprise to me. Kids aren't universally tuned out on these subjects anyway, but I've noticed before that a lot of the kids up here think. They don't just read and hear - two talents not all adults have mastered - but they process the information.

I'm not quite vain enough about my chosen state to think kids in Vermont are wildly unusual in that regard, but I think the extent of their ability to do this has to do with the fact that life is a bit harder here, and it's harder to find ways to scratch itches (so to speak). There aren't malls to congregate in, not much in the way of stores to feed the fashionistas, or lots of radio or TV stations to tell them what they're supposedly missing.

Overall, people up here value reading, value nature, value their neighbors (even if their neighbors aren't always their best friends), and value their minds. They think easy answers aren't always the best ones. I think this shows up in the younger people, too.

I can dig that.