7.01.2004

Saddam's Day in Court

Catch any of the two or more hours Saddam spent in court today?

I found it fascinating, although I sure wish I could understand the language because I feel less confident about translation these days.

One of the standout things I heard him say today was that the proceedings were all a stage play to help George Bush get re-elected (sadly, more than just partially true) and that nobody really wants the truth because he has secrets that people would not like to hear. The latter is perfectly true. Saddam could - were he a truthful man and I don't know tha the is - tell us a great deal about the unholy alliance between the US and Iraq (Reagan and earlier, when Saddam was our financially supported fried, during the same time he was committing some of the atrocities we now want him to pay for; these atrocities known to the US at the time.