1.02.2007

Five Things You Don't Know About Me

As a silly aside, I occasionally play these "meme" games that go 'round blogtopia. Ole Blue the Heretic posted one of these in the last few days, where he answers the one concerning "five things you don't know about me."

So, for shits and giggles (what a phrase!), here's mine, unsolicited (you already know some of my deepest, darkest secrets, like belonging to the Young Republicans in college and once believing that the biggest sin Richard Nixon committed was getting caught):

  1. I've been drunk (and then, not very) just once in my life: the early morning of the final of my final exams senior year in college. The final was James Joyce, a course in which I was not pulling the straight As I usually made. Since Joyce wrote so much of his work "under the influence", I figured that if I drank lots of cheap wine in the empty office of the student newspaper where I was on the editorial board, I'd do better on the test. I aced it, in fact (oddly enough).
  2. I spent several years in college and beyond as the director of religious education at my church and for an ecumenical summer Bible school; I was flirting with becoming a priest until I found out that, because I was a woman, I was not allowed.
  3. I was a high school dropout. Oh yes, I went back within months and went on to be the first in my family to go to college and then to grad school twice.
  4. I don't particularly like many of the "greats" of American music, including The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, etc.
  5. I once took a Polaroid picture of my brain taken during a brain scan back home to show my mother to "prove" her wrong that I had no brain. She told me that showing just a picture of the outside of the brain did nothing to prove there was anything inside it.

Pitiful, ain't it?