7.27.2006

Newsweek: Will a U.N. Force Work?

Newsweek asks the question but I'm not sure the answer can be easily determined.

Israel has been the biggest opponent to any UN backed force that would monitor their actions in Palestinian areas; the popular belief here is that Israel does not want anyone to see their treatment of Palestinians.

Let me say I would welcome a U.N. force. However, if Israel and the U.S. won't allow the U.N. to do its work properly - and I think this is an extremely strong probability - then all we do is place more U.N. workers in harm's way.

If you notice I only mentioned the U.S. and Israel here in terms of whether a UN force would work, you've got it right. I expect more out of these two countries than I do out of tiny, war-torn Lebanon or Hezbollah. The U.N. could work around opposition by Lebanon or Hezbollah, but would be seriously hamstrung if one or both the U.S. and Israel interfered.