10.16.2005

Whom Am I to Quibble with The New Republic?

Well.... within reason; they have some imperfections.

But they're really hawking a piece by Andrew ("Oh, my glorious butt cheeks! Let me massage them on camera on national TV as I have already done before!") Sullivan on the "death" of the gay culture.

Were it not written by a man who enjoys self-hatred so much, I'd feel better about the piece.

Before people jump me, I do not believe all gays are self-hating. Nor do I think all women, Jews, and other groups traditionally associated with the label of "self hating" practice this dogma. Of course, it's easy to peg a few - no one hates women more than Lynne Cheney (read her body of work, from interviews, to lesbian fiction to her work with "lower" education) and no one hated Jews and homosexuals more than the Jewish and gay Roy ("I love the smell of electrocuted Rosenbergs in the morning") Cohn who enabled Joe McCarthy.

AND - for the show stopper, I don't think Andrew just self hates because he's a gay man in a conservative Republican nightmare. I think we see - not directly, but around the other side - an incredible influence of self-hating Christian moralists, self-hating right nutwing idealogues, and so on.

Actually, no, that's not the showstopper. This is: Bush HATES himself. Oh, not for the reasons we do. But he knows, he knows he shouldn't be commanding the free world. That's why he tells us all the time he should. Churchill and Roosevelt never had to prove their manhood, their stripes like this.