10.17.2005

For Vermont Visitors

October 28th marks a special day for the Second Vermont Republic, a movement gaining in momentum and consideration, that is investigating whether it is time for Vermont to go it alone, to return to a time when Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain boys fought off forceable attempts to make us join what was passing for America at the time.

When I first heard the idea, I dismissed it as a crackpot idea. But the more I talk with neighbors, look at what we get from Washington vs. what we lose to it, how we're treated, the direction in which America is headed, etc.... I listen.

No one's proposing the leap tomorrow. Instead, they're trying to find ways to make it work if enough Vermonters choose to make a lot of map printers happy by reducing the country by a state.

Listen. Tell them what you would want as part of the move. Make your own decisions. I'll be glad to post links to it if anyone is interested.