6.01.2005

Revisionism

Several times since yesterday's disclosure about W. Mark Felt being Watergate's "Deep Throat", I've heard someone in the media say something along the lines of, "crediting with bringing down the widely popular Richard Nixon."

Widely popular? Excuse me?

Short of his appearances on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, usually to say "Sock it to me!", I don't recall Nixon as a widely popular man. My gosh, the man looked so damned uncomfortable in his own skin, let alone in public.

Granted, I was like 9 when he was first elected, and not all that old when he left office under shame, but I remember Republicans in my town, people who would vote for him, saying things like, "That ass, Nixon." And mind you, back even in the early 70s, you didn't generally hear people speak out about high ranking figures to the degree you do in the last 20.

But then, hey, they have G. Gordon Liddy - Mr. uber overcompensation (I've got to assume that along with his small stature, his penis is fairly microscopic just based on his personality) - on making him sound like he was a national hero instead of a really creepy spy.