5.29.2005

The Non-Christian Factor

[I know, I know. I said I was going but...]

From Max at MaxSpeaks:

Jewish and Muslim fundies show more sense than some Christians.

The so-called Culture of Life reaches endless depths of absurdity (text) on the sex-only-for-procreation and the every-embryo-is-sacred fronts.

The rabbis, not to mention Judaism in general, are criticized on National Review Online by Eric Cohen, who seems to lack credentials in both theology and science.
I was reading about this issue earlier this week, as orthodox Jews came out in support of stem cell research, while Iraqi Christians opposed efforts by the teams of American Christian evangelists streaming into Iraq to "convert" Iraqi Christians. Convert?

But this also reminds me of a larger issue that I've written about, in fragments, before. A recent study of Muslims and Muslim countries shows a very misguided, skewed view of Jews in American media and politics. While only one of the six biggest US newspapers is owned by a Jew, many in Arab countries believe the American media is owned and run exclusively by Jews. Likewise, while there are relatively few Jews serving in elected national posts, these folks believe Jews "run" American politics.

That may not be surprising to some, but the odd thing here is that among American evangelicals, you see the very same misconceptions: Jews run our politics and our media, with the implicit idea that "Jews are trying to ruin the Christian family."

As I've indicated, I grew up in a family and a town of extreme prejudice. I heard the "Jews run" line almost daily. While - at first blush - you might think things have changed because so many Christian evangelicals "side" with Israel these days, things have not changed at all.

Christian evangelicals are taught that Israel - and the support of the Jews - is necessary because for the "Rapture" and end times theology to play out, Jews must be in place and in power in Israel. Hence, we see the "support". But before you relax, understand that they're only using Jews. In fact, their ideology requires that - for their end times to play out - those Jews must convert to Christianity. Any Jews who don't won't be saved.

There is no Christian evangelical love for Jews if Jews are only servants in the evangelical game plan. Jews aren't even supposed to be Jews anymore if radical Christian ideology plays out.

But here I am at this stage of my life just appalled at all of this. Despite my upbringing, I've again and again been the recipient of help, care, support, education, mentoring by Jews. Jews have helped me not only stay alive and be a thinking person, but they have helped me be a better person and even yes, a better Christian. I do not for the life of me understand the hate, fear, and misunderstanding of Christian evangelicals and Muslin fundamentalists about Jews. I don't even see how you can claim to be a Christian or a Muslim, with the specific teachings of Christ and Mohammed, and foster the kind of hatred and fear of Jews that is indemic to fundamentalism.

I just don't understand. If someone else does, please please explain it to me.