5.27.2005

On the Job Front

I've had two amusing things happen.

First, I got called by a sort of headhunter offering what sounded - at first blush - like the PERFECT job opportunity (short of getting that political editor's job, hint hint). A sci/tech Web sr editor for a major media company. I was salivating.

That is, until I heard who the company was. Faux News.

I can just imagine what happens the first time I process a story about evolution where I have to state - with straight face - that "everyone knows man was created from dust, and women from that dust's rib". Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather starve.

The second was when I checked out Journalism Jobs and found this ad:

Newsweek Magazine seeks a PUBLICIST. You will be responsible for pitching stories to TV and radio producers, securing TV and radio appearances for reporters, drafting trade and editorial press releases, managing the communications department on weekends and supervising weekend writers and assistants. You will also interact with top editors and counsel reporters for interviews, promote breaking news on the internet, place photos from Newsweek events in trade publications, promote special issues, assist with awards entries, and update and monitor biographies and headshots.

The ideal candidate will have at least two to five years experience in PR (preferrably in Journalism or Non-Profit organization) a related field, experience working in a high pressure environment, be able to juggle many responsibilities, and act as a spokesperson for the magazine. You must have a thorough and broad understanding of the news, exceptional communications skills, and strong writing skills. Supervisory experience is a plus. A BA degree is preferred. You must be available to work weekends on a rotating schedule.
Let me say that Newsweek needs a publicist FAR LESS than they need a set of balls.