4.09.2005

Want to Learn Something? Start by Listening

I had an interesting experience yesterday, the result of which made me almost euphoric simply due to the beauty of the simplicity.

I'd written a letter to the local paper protesting Vermont GOP for calling for out-of-state funds to defeat "Jim Jeffords the traitor". While I'm not a card-carrying Jim Jeffords' fan, I did personally approve when he jumped the GOP ranks. But even before that, I had voted for him in 2000 after carefully analyzing his voting record (he was a Republican then).

And let me disclose that part of my reason for going with Jeffords over his chief opponent was because as a new state resident, I chose to speak to several people to see how they felt about Jeffords. I got some diversity in opinions, but the overall impression was that they felt Jeffords - while not always voting the way they liked - was a good representative of and for the state in the Senate. And frankly, since he jumped the GOP's ship for Independent status, I haven't seen a huge change in his voting pattern. Jim was one of the New England moderates - which include RI's Chafee, Maine's Olympia Snowe and I believe Susan Collins - so his vote wasn't always partisan anyway.

But here's what I found interesting. And you may not, but. A man from the state GOP who responded to my letter laid out why he disagreed with my viewpoint. He did so in a way that was calm and clear although passionate in what was said, and helped me see something I had glossed over before: that many Rep Vermonters still feel a great sense of betrayal for the May 2001 defection.

The man didn't attack me personally or attack other people in the letter; he simply made his case well.

Do he and I still disagree? Yes. I think Jim made the right decision before 9/01 and certainly for Vermont after. Unless and until the Dems or a third party put up a much better candidate, I expect to work for Jeffords' re-election, this time as a Dem.

But from this letter writer I learned something I didn't really grok before. While I'd like to tell the respondent that he needs to "get over it" (a phrase Dems have been flooded with endlessly), his words made me recognize that this is not something he's perhaps ready to concede (that what may be best for Vermont and the country right now may not be best for the Vermont GOP). I have to take that into the mix both to understand perhaps how we can see past party lines for the best of the state and country as well as simply to acknowledge the depth of feeling on the other side.