4.05.2005

The So-Called "Minutemen": Who's Watching the Watchers

[Reader CK points us to these two sites: The Minute Man Project and VDare on this subject. Now that I've seen both, my reservations have escalated twenty fold.]

Yes, I have severe reservations about these folks "volunteering" to defend the US-Mexico border.

Last time I knew, the Department of Homeland Security was operating under no shortage of funds. But the money seems to go to odd places, like protecting a Nebraska county with more cows than people from al Qaeda, and the companies making the most have some questionable motivations (can you say Rudy Giuliani?).

While I have no doubt that among these volunteers are a number of people who are there believing they are simply defending the border with no great agenda over than national protection, I don't think the program itself or a lot of the people involved with it are quite so noble.