3.09.2005

United Church of Christ

Let me second Oliver on that. The UCC has been delivering a message of inclusion for sometime now and after hearing year after year about who should NOT be considered a Christian or allowed as a member in one church or another, it's awfully refreshing to see a group of Christians who live up to the name rather than spewing hate and intolerance.

From Oliver:

I wanted to highlight the new blogad running from United Church of Christ. As I've told you all several times, I consider myself agnostic (I think there's a grand design to life and the universe, but put no label to it) - but were I to be part of the Christian faith I think I would join a church like UCC. Watching their ads, they espouse what I consider the real doctrine of Jesus, that of tolerance and love for fellow man without fire and brimstone condemnation.
On one point I differ from Oliver: I would not define myself as an agnostic, although I once did. But I also went through a time where "atheist" was a better fit.

To some degree, I actually credit my childhood schizophrenic mix of a family whose affiliations were divided between "born again" fundamentalism and both Catholic and well as High Anglican (Episcopal) with being able to ask questions and assume little about religion.

Today, I do believe. But I simply choose not to participate in an organized body of religion. In other words, I believe in God, but I don't believe in religion the way most organized, acknowledged groups practice it.

OK, now that that's about as clear as mud, I can go to bed happy (or at least, go to bed). If there's anything else I can confuse the hell out of you about, please let me know.