3.09.2005

Fun, Fun, Fun Until Her Agent Takes Her Word Processor Awa-aa-aay....

That's how I'm feeling trying to finish up the novel and find an agent for it. Finding a good agent always feels to me a little like finding a Godfather in the Mario Puzo sense of the word. There are many good agents, but really good agents like to work with people who sell a million copies a year, minimum. Most of my books have been in the tech realm where 50K copies is a bestseller.

But the agent and going to publishers thing isn't the hard part. The blood, sweat, and tears come in finishing the work itself and going over it to be sure it's as honest and faithful to the people within as I can make it.

It's like a love-hate affair you just aren't emotionally ready to leave. I might have written more than 30 other books, but this one - "Division Street" - is quite different from all of them and my relationship with it has been much different as well. I've come to love and respect these people in my book who came alive seemingly on their own. It will be very tough to leave them without the Hollywood happy ending I'd like for them.