3.06.2005

Kerry vs. Reid for Control of Dem Senate?

I read this piece over at Raw Story and found it troubling.

Now, I have some serious reservations about Harry Reid (D-UT) on a few different levels, among them his anti-choice stance. And let's face it. I don't think one damned person (well, save for a GOP blowhard whose knocked up his mistress and doesn't want wifey to know) is PRO ABORTION. What many of us are amounts to Pro Choice: that a woman should be free to choose what happens rather than have it dictated to her by laws that recognize the legitimacy of a fetus over that of a living woman.

But I have to say that as Senate Minority leader, he's been showing his mettle. Tom Daschle is a very nice man but he had two characteristics I despised: wife whose a lobbyist AND worse, that he pussyfooted around quite a bit. When somebody's tossing daggers at you blind-folded, you don't offer them tea and cookies. While I am pro diplomacy and reason, I'm less and less convinced with each passing day that the rabid righties a) couldn't care less about the truth b) couldn't care less about what's good for America and the world as a whole (heads-stuck-up-own-ass-and-admiring-the-view syndrome) and c) stopped listening and thinking long ago which is how they can have the positions they take.

Having seen Kerry in action, I'd be more inclined at this point to let Reid in the Senate, Pelosi in the House, and Dean as DNC chair take the ball and run with it rather than always passing it to John F. The Kerry of the '60s and early '70s is not the Kerry of today, not the brave young man but the tired-yet-still-ambitious politician. His wife has a good deal more spunk these days.

Frankly, I'm as disappointed to hear talk that Kerry's planning to run in 2008 as I am of Hilary (and suspicious of why big NY GOP bigwigs are funneling support to her). If both do it, it's for their own selfish gain rather than the needs of this country (and hey, it's very much about saving America). A test of their true spirit will be in seeing if either can manage to restrain themselves but I doubt it.

Having said that, who the hell is the candidate to beat the Evil Rove? There isn't a single candidate from 2004 I'd go for except Dean, and he's out of the running as DNC chair.