10.15.2004

You Can Be an Atheist and Still be an American

With atheism being the fastest-growing "religious denomination" in America, vastly undercounted in the last census at about 30 million, is it any surprise that both candidates stated, for the first time in history as far as I know, that one can be an atheist and still be an American (wiping my sweaty brow in a sign of visible relief)!
I hear what Coturnix is saying here. I just find it sad that it's taken this long to get a presidential candidate to even publicly hint it's OK.

I don't believe Bush believes it is OK (yet it's one of his smaller lies, when you stop to consider Iraq, Election 2000, and a few thousand others). Kerry is smart enough to realize that it is.

BTW, Coturnix posts at a new blog I found called Science and Politics. One can only hope that politics doesn't ruin science as much as politics have ruined religion (or is it the other way around?).