7.27.2004

Going Out on a Limb: Bloggers at the Dem Convention

I may be way off base here, but I've watched and listened to this phenomenon for a few days now, and it's bothering me.

I think there's a tendency just because of the newness of the visibility of bloggers during this convention to give them lots of attention. However, I also see lots of egos coming out and a certain sense of self-specialness because they're there.

While I think it's great bloggers were recognized, I'd caution everyone that a lot of the time that gets devoted in blogs discusses the need to return the idea of government and service to the real American people. We don't need rock stars, or blog stars. We need excellent reporting that isn't covered in the mainstream and we need to bridge the gap between politics and people so that one can "get" the other.

My serious congratulations to everyone there participating and providing information back to us. But I just feel like we don't need more of the GOP-style "stars for no good reason than money and power". And I think almost everyone who got picked to blog there has a record of service in blogging that speaks for itself, and does not require "rock star" status to be worthy.

OK, I'm going to go turn my soapbox into kindling. As I said, I may be way off base here. But if this pro-blog person has gotten an uncomfortable sense of something off, I wonder if the public has. Nothing, however, is more important than trying to get this country off its current disastrous course. Nothing.