6.21.2004

Lynndie England: "Some People Are Calling Me the Heroine of Baghdad"

I really hope that Ms. England, the woman holding the leash in some of the released Abu Ghraib prison abuse photos, does not really believe these words she uttered in an interview. While I'm sure some people have told her this, I think there is still no excuse for what she did, even setting aside the fact that while abusing prisoners, Ms. England seemed to be engaged in sex on film with a number of the others (presumably male service members) there.

I grant that she's young, clearly poorly educated, and she was in a rotten situation which I think was condoned very high up the chain of command. But that in itself doesn't excuse all we've seen of her.

She is many things, but she is not a hero (or heroine). I hope she grows up a lot before that child she's carrying is born. Someday, she's going to have to explain some of those pictures to this child and that's not a conversation I envy her. I suspect it will forever change that child's relationship with his/her mother.