5.29.2004

Watergate Counsel Sam Dash Has Died

Anyone who remembers Watergate remembers the name. He was senior counsel for the Watergate Committee investigating the mess that ultimately led to Richard Nixon's resignation. Dash always struck me as an interesting man.

[Ed: Update: The New York Times is reporting this morning that Archibald Cox, also of Watergate fame, has died as well.]

His death reminds me of something I've been thinking a lot about lately. It's twistedly funny, too. After the past few years of Bush and Company, Watergate is seeming like less of a big deal.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I don't subscribe to the theory that the worst sin Nixon committed was in getting caught.

But Nixon principally screwed us over, while the current administration is wreaking havoc throughout the world and is placing the entire globe on a course from which I don't think we can easily recover in our lifetime. As much as his taking control of the White House concerned me in late 2000, I would not have believed how much damage could be done in such a relatively short period of time.