5.24.2004

"Exception to the Rulers"

My partner had the opportunity to see Amy Goodman, long-time Pacifica radio host and now host of Democracy Now!, and her brother, David, who have authored, "Exception to the Rulers", when they appeared at Vermont College Saturday night. Alas, work kept me from attending but he picked up a copy of the book which I started in bed last night.

Already, I would recommend people buy a copy (at worst, borrow a copy from a library that has one). It's very well written (although the picture of George, Dick, and Rummy on the cover gave me unfortunate nightmares featuring Rudy Giuliani) and Amy's views on journalism are priceless.

When my partner got a chance to speak with Amy after the talk, he asked her if she would consider not having Alan Dershowitz as a guest again on the show, given his pro-torture rhetoric. To his surprise, she said, "You know, we were just discussing that."

Now, as much as I've come to disrespect Dershowitz given his support of a national ID card and torture since 9/11, I can't say that's a request I would have made. It's not even because I used to respect Dershowitz for the work he did pro bono on indigent cases.

Unlike corporate media, good journalism requires hearing from all sides, even the ones you don't like. But I certainly understand my partner's displeasure with Dershowitz and the sentiment is one I've heard voiced by others.