5.15.2004

Berg's Murder Sends People Seeking Information

From what I can see here and from what I hear from two friends who work for net analysis and search engine companies, people are logging on en masse to look for information about Nick Berg, the 26-yr-old civilian killed in Iraq supposedly by someone associated with al Qaeda (even though the tape says nothing about al Qaeda and there's some serious question whether this identified bin Laden associate is even really on the tape).

Good. People should be asking questions. LOTS of questions. Especially when the media is largely just spouting back whatever the administration tells them, even in the face of evidence that, despite the government's protests to the contrary, they were holding him in custody there until just before this rogue group took him a month before his death.

When I was studying journalism, I met this woman who apparently had some.. ahem.. novel experience. She told a group of us, "I've been a whore and I've been a journalist. Let me tell you, whoring is much easier and pays better."

Now if only someone wanted Mickey Kaus or Tim Russert for their bodies ...