4.28.2004

Nightline

Many, especially wingnuts (it seems), are questioning ABC and "Nightline" for the decision to run Friday's show presenting just the names (read by Ted Koppel) and images of dead US soldiers. Wingnuts call it a stunt to drive up outrage about the war, to force people to question the cost of the war and this president.

I don't buy that. Nor am I sure how this is a ratings stunt (it coincides with the beginning of the May sweeps period where viewers are counted to help determine ad rates). If anything, I could see Nightline - sadly - losing a lot of viewers that night. People too often don't want to be reminded. Sadder still, I'm sure Misters Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, Negroponte, Wolfowitz, Perle, et al plus Ms. Rice will NOT watch.

Me? I'm going to try to catch it. I understand that whether or not I agree with this war - and I don't - that each of these men and women are there representing the country. I hate the war, but I'm very sad they've lost their lives and the great sacrifice their families are going through.